The Introductions Thread!

Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well! My name is Vaishak G Kumar, and I’m a B.Tech student majoring in Computer Science & Engineering with a specialization in AI & ML at Presidency University, Bengaluru, India.

I’m reaching out to express my eagerness to contribute to the DeepChem project, particularly to the Intermediate Project: Protein Language Modeling. Throughout my academic journey, I’ve been involved in various projects focusing on artificial intelligence, machine learning, and computer science. From developing advanced healthcare systems like AI-DxMH to exploring cutting-edge techniques such as GANs for image realism, I’ve gained a diverse skill set that I believe can be valuable to the DeepChem community.

DeepChem’s mission to democratize AI for drug discovery resonates deeply with me, and I’m particularly intrigued by the potential applications of deep learning in molecular biology, such as Protein Language Modeling.

With a background in AI, ML, and computer science, as well as practical experience with Python, PyTorch, and TensorFlow, I’m excited about the opportunity to contribute to this project. I believe my skills and enthusiasm can make meaningful contributions to the advancement of protein machine learning within DeepChem.

Additionally, my involvement in extracurricular activities like leading coding clubs and serving as the Director of International Services at the Rotaract Club has helped me develop strong leadership, teamwork, and project management skills that I’m eager to leverage within the DeepChem community.

I’m looking forward to collaborating with all of you and contributing to the advancement of AI in drug discovery and molecular biology. Thank you for considering my application, and I can’t wait to dive into the Protein Language Modeling project!

Warm regards,
Vaishak G Kumar

Hi there, My name is Maxim Kirby. I did my B.Sc. in Biochemistry at the University of Waterloo and graduated in 2023. After graduation, I knew I wanted to pursue research in computational biology for protein engineering and have been spending the past year realizing this goal. I’ve spent quite some time learning about coding, linear algebra, data structures, algorithms, and deep learning. Lately, I’ve been really engaged with Andrew Ng’s and Jeremy Howards’ courses on Deep Learning. I also have applied to do graduate studies in this space and I believe contributing to DeepChem would be a really good opportunity for me to build more with current frameworks and pipelines. I came across DeepChem through Google’s Summer of Code. Some of the projects that really interest me are the Protein Language Modeling (which seems to be very popular in the forums from what I’ve seen, haha), Implementing a Wishlist Model (ones solving organic chemistry like Rexgen and Retrotemp, or some of the neural network architectures like Neural ODEs, Lagrangian, and Hamiltonian possibly), PyTorch Porting, and Improving Equivariance Support. I think I’ll still dig around and try to make some smaller contributions first though!

Hey everyone! :wave: I’m Cory Mou, a second-year undergrad studying bioinformatics at Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications in China.

From the bottom of my heart, I’m extremely drawn into Layer Tutorials and Improving New Drug Modality Support these two projects :smile:.Over the past year, I have dedicated myself to ML and DL, biology courses as well. So I have a good foundation in deep learning, machine learning and bioinformatics knowledge right now. At the same time, I’m so familiar with Python,C/C++ and R. :robot: And you can check out what I’m up to on my personal webpage:https://github.com/Cory-mjl

Last year, I have taken my participate in China Life Science Competition, and here are many similarities between the two projects, so I think I can get up to speed with this project quickly. :rocket: :rocket:

Although I may be not the best member in this project, I’d like to do my best for the team. Hope we can have more communication about this project together!

Hey everyone! :wave: I’m Cory Mou, a second-year undergrad studying bioinformatics at Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications in China.

From the bottom of my heart, I’m extremely drawn into Layer Tutorials and Improving New Drug Modality Support these two projects :smile:.Over the past year, I have dedicated myself to ML and DL, biology courses as well. So I have a good foundation in deep learning, machine learning and bioinformatics knowledge right now. At the same time, I’m so familiar with Python,C/C++ and R. :robot: And you can check out what I’m up to on my personal webpage:https://github.com/Cory-mjl

Last year, I have taken my participate in China Life Science Competition, and here are many similarities between the two projects, so I think I can get up to speed with this project quickly. :rocket: :rocket:

Although I may be not the best member in this project, I’d like to do my best for the team. Hope we can have more communication about this project together!:fire::fire:

1 Like

Hi all! I’m Arya Sikder, a B.Tech sophomore majoring in Chemical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India.
Ever since my high school days, I’ve always been fascinated by how complex systems in chemistry and biology can be modelled and solved computationally.
I’d love to contribute to some of the projects here at DeepChem! Improving Equivariance Support and Implementing Wishlist Models seem interesting to me this year.
I’ve been working with Open Source deep learning models for more than a year now. I have a paper(preprint link) on tool based LLMs, I love to learn on the go, and have looked into multimodal and physics models too.
I’d love to dive into research as well!
Looking forward to learning and contributing!

Hello,
I’m Gayan Kaushalya from Sri Lanka. I’m a second-year undergraduate specializing in data science and engineering.
From the school years, I had a deep liking for chemistry, and I am interested in contributing for a beginner level project such as Layer Tutorials, Improving Antibody Support and Improving Drug Modularity Support.
Although I have not previously contributed to open source before, I have experience in working with Jupyter notebooks. Therefore, I think I can contribute well for the aforementioned projects.
Looking forward to contribute in Google Summer of Code 2024.

Hi there :wave: iam Mohammed Hemed from Egypt , currently I studying Computer Engineering, and I have premaster degree in CS , and i passionate about ML and i have two years of experience in the field and i want to join DeepChem to strengthen my experience in the field

My name is Nermeeta Dhillon, and I am currently working as a Machine Learning Scientist at Wayfinder Biosciences, with a focus on leveraging tools such as DeepChem, RDKit, and OpenBabel in my research. With around 1.5 years of industry experience, I am deeply committed to open-source initiatives and am planning to further my academic journey by pursuing a Ph.D. in the near future.

I am writing to express my strong interest in the Target Validation Project at DeepChem. My professional background includes developing models to predict novel binders for disease-relevant RNAs and proteins. I am eager to expand my expertise in this area, particularly in predicting actual targets, which I believe is a critical step in advancing the field of drug discovery.

The intersection of AI and medicine is a passion of mine, and I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to the DeepChem community. I am confident that my skills and interests align well with the goals of the Target Validation Project, and I look forward to the possibility of joining your team and contributing to its success.

Thank you for considering my application. I am looking forward to the opportunity to discuss how I can contribute to the DeepChem team.

Best regards,
Nermeeta Dhillon

Hello everyone!

My name is Yasemin Khanmoradi, and I am currently pursuing a Computer Science degree in my second year at the University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This follows my completion of a B.Sc. in Chemistry at the same institution. My transition from chemistry to computer science was driven by a keen interest in applying computational approaches to medicinal chemistry challenges.

I am particularly drawn to the Improving Support for Drug Formulations and PK/PD Tutorials projects within your organization. My unique blend of technical skills and deep understanding of medicinal, organic and computational chemistry places me in an excellent position to contribute meaningfully to these areas. I am excited about the prospect of leveraging my background to further the development of these projects.

I look forward to the opportunity of collaborating with you and hope to discuss my potential role in your projects soon.

Best,
Yasemin Khanmoradi

Hello everyone,

I am Sarima Chiorlu, a University of Lagos student and interested in contributing to DeepChem. Last December, I had an internship at a drug discovery startup where they used a lot of your models, incorporating them into their hub. I was intrigued by your work in making drug discovery easier and would love to contribute to your project. I am interested in Layer tutorials and protein language modeling. I was hoping to make meaningful contributions.

Hi Bharath,

My name is Shreyas Nandanwar, and I’m a final year BTech Computer Science Engineering student at MIT Pune University, India. I’m writing to express my keen interest in contributing to the Protein Language Modeling project as part of Google Summer of Code (GSoC).

While I don’t have prior experience working with HuggingFace or fine-tuning LLMs, I’m highly motivated to learn and possess a strong foundation in machine learning concepts. The prospect of delving into this exciting field and contributing to a project with such significant implications for protein research truly excites me.

My academic background in computer science has equipped me with a strong foundation in programming languages like Python and machine learning algorithms. To prepare myself for this project, I’ve begun exploring resources on Hugging Face Transformers and LLM fine-tuning techniques. I’m eager to learn more from the project mentors and the broader community.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss my potential contributions further and learn more about the project’s specific needs. Please let me know the preferred communication channels for interacting with the project mentors and community.

Thank you!

hi barath
i am Priyanshu Prajapati, currently pursuing BTech in UIET KANPUR in Computer Science with a specialization in AI(2021-2025). I am currently participating in competitions on Kaggle and also reading research papers. I am currently working on BERT models. I have learned supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, as well as NLP and transformers. Now, I am learning BERT models. I am also a full-stack developer with very strong mathematics and analytical skills, especially in permutation, statistics, and probability. I know various programming languages and engage in problem-solving using R, Python, C++, C, and Go. Additionally, I have worked in cryptography, particularly cryptography in buffer overflows for bug detection. Currently, I am working on a research paper on LLMS. I am interested in data science or ML research. I also have skills in database management, SQL, and PostgreSQL, but ML is my proficiency. I am currently learning BERT models and researching LLMS.i am also very active in opensource communities
I want to work on Protein Language Modeling with DeepChem and Hugging Face Transformers i am already in finetuning of llms or stable diffusion training so i am eagerly want to contribute in this model training
i recently working on bert on new llm bugs with UIUC professors and finetuning and vector databases

Thank YOU ,
Priyanshu Prajapati

Hi everyone!

I am Marc, a medicinal chemist working in the biotech industry. With a hobbyist’s interest in coding, I’ve been exploring AI for some time now.

Recently, I decided to dive deeper into AI and am currently working through the Deepchem API. My goal isn’t to become an AI expert, but to develop a solid understanding of the field so I can effectively communicate with AI experts. Given the current AI hype, everyone seems to be offering a miracle solution for all medicinal chemistry problems. By studying ML/DL algorithms, I aim to clarify what’s realistically achievable today, identify key challenges, and understand the limitations of AI in this field.