The Introductions Thread!

Hey folks ! Let’s use this thread to introduce ourselves.

I’m Bharath Ramsundar. I started the DeepChem project while I was doing my PhD in the Pande group at Stanford. I wanted to democratize access to deep learning tools for drug discovery, and got passionately interested in the idea of bootstrapping the use of AI for curing disease. I’ve written some books about AI. As I finished my PhD, I realized that getting access to interesting datasets was one of the core limitations for building more sophisticated AI systems, and that crypto brought a powerful set of tools that could incentivize the construction of new datasets in a fair and sustainable fashion, so I co-founded Computable

The best way to follow me is on Twitter .

1 Like

Hello! I’m Peter Eastman. I’m a staff software engineer in the Pande group at Stanford. My time is split between developing DeepChem, developing OpenMM (a toolkit for molecular dynamics simulation), and doing research on various topics (mostly related to the intersection of deep learning and physics).

2 Likes

Hey – Vijay Pande here. I’m very excited about this project and how we can help make it easier for people to use Deep Learning on molecules.

2 Likes

Hi! This is Rodrigo Zepeda (Rod, as in fishing). I am a mathematician who recently came about this project which seems pretty interesting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!
My name is Vignesh and I am a Master’s student in Computational Biology at ETH Zurich. I have been contributing to DeepChem for quite a while now, and currently work as a Google Summer of Code intern with them.

My previous research has been around using Deep Learning in Biology, but now I am looking to gain more experience in using it to Chemistry, and later tying the two fields together.

1 Like

Hello! My name is Jonathan King. I’m a PhD student in the Joint Carnegie Mellon - University of Pittsburgh Computational Biology program and a member of the Koes Group. Our group has been developing machine learning methods for structure-based drug discovery and, more recently, protein structure prediction.

I’m eager to learn more about the DeepChem project and share my interests in machine learning applications in medicine/health with the community!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Pat Walters and I’ve been working in computational drug discovery for more than 20 years and with machine learning for even longer. I occasionally write papers and I also write a blog called “Practical Cheminformatics” which frequently contains some (hopefully) useful code. All of the code from the blog, and a bit more, can be found on GitHub. In collaboration with Vijay, Bart, and Peter, I co-wrote a book called “Deep Learning for the Life Sciences”, which provides an introduction (with code) to the use of deep learning in a variety of life science topics.

2 Likes

Hi,

I am amith ranga. In my current role i am trying to drug a histone acetyl transferase. I did some HTVS and got a few hits. now i am trying to set myself up for using deepchem.

thanks for having me,
amith ranga

1 Like